Associate Professor of Education. Stanford University School of Education. (Sep 08 to present)
Affiliate, Abdul Latif Jameel Poverty Action Lab (Jan 15 – present)
Research Associate. National Bureau of Economic Research. (Sep 11– present)
Faculty Research Fellow. National Bureau of Economic Research. (Mar 03– Aug 11)
Associate Professor of Economics. Case Western Reserve. (Jul 06 to Aug 08 )
Assistant Professor of Economics. Case Western Reserve (Jul 00 to Jun 06)
Visiting Fellow. American Academy of Arts and Science. (Sep–Dec 2002)
Other Current Affiliations include Stanford Center for Education Policy Analysis, Lemann Center for Entrepreneurship and Educational Innovation in Brazil, Stanford Center for International Development, Center for Analysis of Postsecondary Education and Employment at Teacher’s College, Center for the Analysis for Postsecondary Readiness at Teacher’s College, CESifo
Phone: (650) 736-7727
Fax: (650) 723-9931
Address: 520 Galvez Mall #522,CERAS building, Stanford, CA 94305-3084
Eric Bettinger is an associate professor in the Stanford University School of Education. His research interests include economics of education; student success and completion in college; teacher characteristics and student success in college; effects of voucher programs on both academic and non-academic outcomes. Eric is also studying what factors determine student success in college. Eric's work aims to bring understanding of these cause-and-effect relationships in higher education. His most recent work focuses on the effects of FAFSA simplification on students' collegiate outcomes.
- Bettinger, Eric and Bridget Long, "Class Size in College." Revise and Resubmit. [equal authorship].
- Bettinger, Eric, Bridget Long, and Eric Taylor, “Graduate Student Teaching” Revise and Resubmit. [equal authorship].
- Bettinger, Eric, Susanna Loeb, and Eric Taylor, “Remote but Influential: Peer Effects and Reflection in Online Higher Education Classrooms.” Under Review.
- Bettinger, Eric, Lindsay Fox, Susanna Loeb, and Eric Taylor, “Changing Distributions: How Online College Classes Alter Student and Professor Performance.” Under Review.
- Bettinger, Eric, Christopher Doss, Susanna Loeb, and Eric Taylor, “The Effects of Class Size in Online College Courses: Experimental Evidence.” Under Review.
- Bettinger, Eric and Bridget Long. “Simplification and Incentives: A Randomized Experiment to Increase College Savings”
- Bettinger, Eric and Bridget Long. “Peer Effects and Student Achievement: The Role of Race in the College Classroom“
- Antonio, Anthony, Eric Bettinger, Brent Evans and Jesse Foster. “The Effect of High School College Advisement: Evidence from a Randomized Evaluation in Texas.”
- Bettinger, Eric, Michael Kremer, Maurice Kugler, and Juan Saavedra. “The Effect of Educational Vouchers in Colombia on Students’ Labor Market Outcomes.”
Ph.D. - Economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2000
B.A. - Economics, Brigham Young University, 1996. Magna cum Laude, Honors
- Spring, 2007: Awarded Weatherhead Undergraduate Instructor of Year
- Spring, 2006: Finalist for Wittke Teaching Award (top instructor at Case Western)
- Spring, 2004: Finalist for Wittke Teaching Award (top instructor at Case Western) and Jackson Mentoring Award (top faculty mentor at Case Western)
- Summer, 2001: Awarded Nord Teaching Grant for innovative instruction (Case Western Reserve University)
- pring, 2001: Awarded Dorney Grant for Teaching (Case Western Reserve University)
- Courses taught: Experimental Design, Economics of Higher Education, Graduate Econometrics, Undergraduate Econometrics, State and Local Public Finance.
- Seminars in Experimental Design: U of Zurich (2016, 2014, 2012), U of Johannes Gutenberg (2015)
- Seminars in Labor Economics: U of Stavanger (2008-2015)
- Juan Luis Londoño Prize for best paper LACEA 2015 for “Educational, Labor Market, and Fiscal Impacts of Scholarships for Private Secondary School: Evidence from Colombia.”
- Weatherhead School of Management, Best Junior Faculty Paper 2002-03. “The Effects of School Vouchers on Students: Evidence from Colombia”
- Spencer Foundation grant for research on Cal Grant Awards (2014-15)
- Institute of Educational Sciences grant for research on College Advising Corps (2013-2016).
- Institute of Educational Sciences grant for research on FAFSA Simplification (2012-2016).
- Bill and Melinda Gates Fdn Grant for Research on FAFSA Simplification (2009-2011).
- Institute of Educational Sciences grant for research on college savings (2009-2012).
- Bill and Melinda Gates Fdn Grant for Research on State Administrative Databases (2008-2012)
- Bill and Melinda Gates Fdn Grant for Research on FAFSA Simplification (2007-2010).
- National Science Foundation grant for research on FAFSA Simplification (2007-2010)
- Ohio Board of Regents Grant for Development of Virtual Ohio Center for Transitions and Success in Postsecondary Education. Joint with Ohio State, Cinc U, Sinclair Comm. College, Ohio College Access Network, and Cleveland Scholarship Program. PI representing Case Western (2007).
- Kauffman Foundation Grant for Research on FAFSA Simplification (2007).
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation Grant for Research on FAFSA Simplification (2007).
- Atlantic Philanthropic and Ford Foundation Grant for Research in Higher Education (2006-07).
- UCLA Center on Education Policy and Evaluation Grant on Women/Minority Involvement in the Sciences (2004-05).
- Lumina Grant for Research on College Remediation (2003-2004).
- National Science Foundation grant for research on Educational Vouchers (2002-2005).
- Russell Sage Grant for research on Educational Vouchers (2001).
- Upjohn Institute Mini-grant for research on Educational Vouchers (2001).
- Armington Fund grant for research on values in children (2001).
- MacArthur Network on Social Interactions and Economic Inequality: Dissertation Fellowship (99-00)
- National Science Foundation: Dissertation Improvement Grant (1999-2001)
- MIT Economics Department Fellowship (1996-1998).
- Ezra Taft Benson, Scholar BYU (1990, 1993-1996).
- Associate Editor. Journal of Labor Economics. (Jan 2009–present).
- Associate Editor. Economics of Education Review. (Aug 2006–December 2013).
- Editorial Board. Education Finance and Policy. (June 2010 to present).
- Editorial Board. Planejamento e Políticas Públicas (Jan 2015 to present)
- Editorial Board. AERA Open (Oct 2014 to present)